How to anticipate competitor market access & penetration strategy across multiple markets and differentiate through targeted efforts in an underdeveloped therapeutic area?
- Our partner was preparing to launch a first-to-market preventive therapy in a space with no approved treatments or other preventive therapies
- Two competitors with comparable efficacy were launching soon after, turning a blue-ocean therapeutic area into a crowded pool
- As a conservative, veteran company, our partner was concerned they would be ill-prepared for the agile & aggressive tactics of the competition
What will the competitors do to gain an advantage and how can we best leverage our short first-to-market window to win?
- Understanding of competitor’s strategy: Aligned view on key strengths and differentiators.
- Sense of urgency: Imperative to act quickly and not underestimate the competition
- Shift in mindset & awareness of blind spots: Increase in competitive readiness across participating markets
Process (Breaking down the project into key phases)
- Competitor Analysis: Primary and secondary research across multiple markets of interest
- Competitor Simulation: 1-day on-site workshops with regional launch teams followed by workshops with country clusters
- Must Wins & Tactics: 1-day on-site workshops with regional launch teams followed by workshops with country clusters
CASE STUDY: CompetitiveReadiness – Project Roadmap
Outputs (Additional details)
Our partner increased competitive readiness:
- Competitor Launch Readiness Assessment: Enabled development of launch plan across geographies according to competitor strategy
- Briefing Packs: Pre-read materials for workshop participants informing of research findings and facilitating high engagement
- Competitor Shadow Brand Plan: Stepping out of the comfort zone and into competitor shoes to maximize threat & opportunity awareness
- Impact & Implications: Alignment of local implementation strategy and activities to preempt and counter competitor tactics
“We really appreciated your coordination but want also to highlight the valuable comments/insights and challenges that you raised to us. It demonstrates you truly got into the contents and our dynamics which – I imagine – might not be easy for an external agency, so really please accept compliments from the whole team”
– Launch Lead